Lessons Learnt at the Hackney Half Marathon

 
As part of my ongoing training, I've set myself smaller, more achievable goals throughout the season, a way to keep motivated and continue to push myself in the individual disciplines. Running is my weakest sport and with a half marathon at the end of my 70.3, I felt it was important to do one separately, which is why, last Sunday I found myself on the start line of the Hackney Half.
 
It was only 9am and the heat was already sweltering, a factor that affected many runners' performances on this flatish course through Hackney and East London.
 
I started off strong, and feeling like I could push myself, kept up at 7.30 min mile pace for the first four miles, far faster than the 8.30 average pace I was aiming for. By mile 5, I had slowed to 8.20 and by 10, I was closer to 9 min miles, stopping to walk a couple of times as the lack of shade and sun bearing  down on us took effect on my body.
 
 
 
The final few miles were as much a mental exercise of 'getting through it' as a physical one. I finished with a P.B. of 1.55, safely under the two hours I had set myself, but well off the pacing I know I can keep up for that distance. A bitter sweet moment.
 
Lessons learnt:
 - Don't let adrenaline get the better of you; if you train at 8.30 min miles, chances are you won't be able to run 13.1 miles at 7.30
- Starting off too fast will make it harder at the end, negative splits are a more positive way to run a race
- Wearing a 'team shirt' means you're easier to spot and a cry of support, whether it be from the sidelines or another runner can make a world of difference when you're flagging
- Heat is draining. If you're likely to race in it, make sure your body is used to training in it too
- Choice of outfit is crucial; chafing may not seem like a huge issue, but bloody armpits are both extremely uncomfortable and very unsexy!
 
Soph x
 

Comments

Popular Posts