Might Contain Nuts



Early one Saturday morning, I found myself at a local outdoor centre in the middle of the Brecon Beacons, nervously awaiting the signal to start the ‘Might Contain Nuts’ 10 miler, a somewhat ironic choice for my first trail run, given my intolerance to nuts. 
At the finish
Trail running is unlike any other type of running and more akin to hill walking.  It takes away the safety blanket you’re used to with road running, and pits you against nature in its purest form. The courses are generally challenging, with plenty of climbing and a variety of terrain, from grassy sloping fields, to rocky paths and bogs; this particular race took us part of the way up Pen y Fan, one of Wales’ top climbs for walkers. The real challenge though, is dealing with the weather. Up in the mountains, you have to be prepared to battle against rain, wind, fog, hail, snow or even  (although rarely!) scorching sunshine, all within the space of a few miles. 


Nervous Pre-Race
 There’s a strict kit list for competitors, including compass, whistle, safety blanket and first aid kit and, as we were handed our waterproof maps on arrival, I began to think I might be a little over my head.  Having said that, the atmosphere at race HQ was convivial and everyone was so friendly that I forgot my nerves, and before I knew it, we were off. 

The first three miles took us along a tow path, beside a canal in Talybont, a comfortable flat path, and good way to get our legs into gear. I kept up a strong pace, near the front of the pack and my competitive spirit began to kick in; how many other women were up ahead? Could I overtake them? Maybe, just maybe, I could do well on this race! 

Then began the climbing, starting up a steady path along the side of the slope, until we embarked on the long slog up the ridge. By this point, I was happy and not just a little relieved to see that, like me, almost everyone was walking up. Running would have used more energy for very little gain and even the fast-paced quick march was hard graft, and painful on the calves. 

By the fourth false summit, we had donned our waterproofs and warm kit, we were being dragged sideways by the rain and wind and the group had spread out. I had lost all track of my place in the race, and was head down, aiming for the end. As we got to the check-point, and I turned right, back down through a marshy field, I found myself thanking the gods I hadn’t been stupid enough to sign up for the marathon or ultra-distance, whose route continued onwards and upwards. 
Becky and Lucy at the finish

The remainder of the run was an enjoyable downhill and flat stretch along rocky paths, straight back to the finish, where I was delighted to discover I was the second lady to come in; a huge confidence boost! Combined with my friends gaining first and second places in the marathon distance we had a real cause for celebration – the only problem now, is that I think I might just have to take a shot at the marathon distance…
Second Place!

Comments

Popular Posts